Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Soldier's Wife by Margaret Leroy

June Book Club Book: The Soldier's Wife

After two chapters, I was in. The beginning took me awhile, though. I just couldn't get into it. Eventually, I was intrigued by how scary and frustrating the occupation of their island must have been. Yikes. I can't imagine. I was amazed that Vivienne really believed her affair with the German was unknown to his fellow officers. They lived right next door. I'm also surprised her children never heard anything. Crazy.
I can't imagine how difficult being married to a stranger would have been. Discovering his affairs....yikes. I don't think having one herself was the answer. Caring for her mother-in-law with Alzheimer's and her husband being away at war. I cannot imagine the strain. I honestly wanted her to stay with the German, though. Horrible, I know, but he was so much kinder than her husband. I did think this was well-written and enjoyed the story. Vivienne was a brave, determined, yet naive woman who did what she had to do to help others, despite her odd connections to the Germans and them living right next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment