Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Book Review: Touching the Sky by Tracie Peterson

I've heard for years that I should try reading Tracie Peterson books, but have never given in. I'm glad I chose to review this book. Touching the Sky takes place in Corpus Christi, TX, just after the Civil War has ended. Level-headed Laura watches her sister marry a Confederate soldier only to have her life tumble down the drain. I loved and understood the struggle between letting someone you love make life-changing mistakes and supporting them through those mistakes. I loved the connection between Laura and her Captain Brandon. I am a hopeless romantic and loved the way he swept her off her feet from the beginning. I was desperately afraid things were going to end badly. I was convinced and couldn't put the book down towards the end. I had to know what happened.
The depiction of the continuing struggle between Union and Confederate soldiers even after the war, especially in the state of Texas, was also a good history lesson for me. It was very well-written, entertaining, and I will be looking for more Tracie Peterson books to lose myself in.

No comments:

Post a Comment